[Libguestfs] Hivex - Trailing garbage at the end of hive file

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 21:14:12 UTC 2013

[Forwarding to the proper list]

We use hivex for one of our projects and I see the following diff committed to the hivex project (source link provided) that ignores trailing garbage.  But this code has been reverted to no ignore this condition in later version of hivex

-      /* This error is seemingly common in uncorrupt registry files. */
-      /*
-      fprintf (stderr, "hivex: %s: ignoring trailing garbage at end of file (at %zu, after %zu pages)\n",
-               filename, off, h->pages);
-      */
+      /* NB: This error is seemingly common in uncorrupt registry files. */
+      if (h->msglvl >= 2)
+        fprintf (stderr, "hivex: %s: ignoring trailing garbage at end of file (at %zu, after %zu pages)\n",
+                 filename, off, h->pages);
       Break;

http://git.annexia.org/?p=hivex.git;a=commitdiff;h=5439842dc591accbf620a5f76dd6f04ad4d5c971

In your experience, is this a common condition seen in some windows hive files and is it safe to ignore when this condition is encountered?

Thanks
~ Hari

---------