[Libguestfs] python-guestfs rbd

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 08:31:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 04:17:24PM +0800, Li Tianqing wrote:
> how to use python-guestfs to access rbd device? The function i found is g.add_drive_opts, but i dono know how it receive ceph's configuration.

> I found this link
> http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/accessing-ceph-rbd-sheepdog-etc-using-libguestfs/

Ignore this link, it's very old and describes a hack which is no
longer needed.  Libguestfs now properly supports accessing many remote
drives, without needing hacks.

> Is that the only way i should use to access ceph rbd? Can we use
> python-guestfs to get the same effect?

Yes, you can use python-guestfs to access rbd.

You need to do something like the code below.

My Ceph server is switched off at the moment and I'm about to go to a
conference, so I didn't have time to test this, but something like
this should work.

Make sure you have a recent version of libguestfs.  At least >= 1.26.

import guestfs

g = guestfs.GuestFS (python_return_dict=True)

g.set_verbose (1)
g.set_trace (1)

g.add_drive_opts ("pool/image",
		 format="raw",
		 readonly=1,
		 protocol="rbd",
		 server=[ "192.168.0.10:1234", "192.168.0.11:1235" ],
#		 username="rbd_user_name",
#		 secret="base64_encoded_password",
		 )

g.launch ()