[Libguestfs] About the return value of value_value

Peter Wu peter at lekensteyn.nl
Sun Aug 10 15:04:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have been working on a Python application that uses hivex. Meanwhile I have
encountered some Python bindings issues which could be fixed.

The next issue I see now is about the value_value function. This is briefly
documented as: "return data length, data type and data of a value".

For Perl, Python and OCaml, this is not true. A tuple is returned for both
without the length (as this can be calculated from the data value). Ruby is
the outlier here that uses a dictionary with three keys. I am not familar with
Ruby and neither do I know Ruby users of hivex.

The documentation should likely be fixed to exclude the length, but what about
the Ruby API? Is it correct or should a documentation note be added that Ruby
differs

Kind regards,
Peter
https://lekensteyn.nl