[Libguestfs] More notes on virt-v2v 1.27.27

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 16:45:50 UTC 2014

[Shahar: Let's discuss virt-v2v & oVirt integration on the public
mailing list from now on.]

New in 1.27.27:

* What we previously called `-o ovf' -- ie the ability to export just
the OVF metadata -- has been implemented but in a slightly different
way.  You can now use:

  virt-v2v [...] -o rhev --no-copy -os remote:/esd
                         ^^^^^^^^^

This means do the conversion and produce the metadata, but don't
bother copying the disks.  This flag is of course applicable to other
output methods.

* You can use the options --rhev-image-uuid, --rhev-vol-uuid and
--rhev-vm-uuid to control the UUIDs used when exporting to oVirt.  As
previously discussed this lets the OVF produced by the --no-copy
option be relatively stable.

* There is now a fairly minimal test suite which is run on every
release (`make check-release').  See `v2v/test-*.sh'.

It tests that the virt-v2v command line flags all work, and that a
handful of real guests don't break virt-v2v.

However it does *not* test that conversion is successful or that the
guest will boot on the target.  That will be done by a more
sophisticated test suite which I'm writing which unfortunately cannot
be fully released in public because it contains proprietary guests
eg Windows.

* The `-o libvirt' target has now been implemented.

* A lot of code clean ups, bug fixes etc.