[Libguestfs] Installing Libguestfs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 31 12:01:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 01:58:20PM +0530, Priyanka Naik wrote:
> I want to transfer files between host and guest. What are the ways to
> transfer these files? Is libguestfs the only way to transfer files between
> host and guest?

The question is under-specified.  If you provide details of your
requirements, we can answer better.

- What host?
- What guest?
- Which direction?
- Is the guest running?
- Continuous sharing or one-off transfer?

If the guest is running, then the problem is how do you transfer files
between networked machines, and the usual solutions apply, eg. scp,
NFS, SMB, ...

ONLY if the guest is NOT running, then you can use libguestfs to copy
files into the guest, eg.  virt-copy-in.

libguestfs can be used to extract files even from running guests, but
if the guest is running you MUST only use read-only commands.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v