[Libguestfs] libguestfs and zfs-fuse

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 20:16:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 03:12:28PM -0500, Andre Goree wrote:
> I'm wondering whether or not anyone has tried to use guestmount on
> an image with a ZFS partition (MBR partition table).  I can't seem
> to find much on the internet regarding it, but I do see hints that
> may lead me to a solution.  I'm under the impression that libguestfs
> can use what ever is available to the kernel on the host -- in my
> case I have zfs-use installed and running.  I can't seem to mount
> the image, however.

Libguestfs can .. however we've never actually wired up ZFS support in
the API, and therefore ZFS currently will not work from guestmount.

It should be relatively easy to make it work.  Are there any ZFS-based
test images we can test against?  I was testing a Solaris 11 image a
few weeks ago but unfortunately Linux couldn't make any sense of it at
all -- it seemed to be a much more fundamental problem at the
partition level, and nothing specifically to do with ZFS.

> From the aforementioned link, I should use zpool import -d $(dir) -R
> (mountpoint) to mount ZFS filesystems, however I'm not sure how to
> reconcile that with the 'guestmount' command or whether or not it's
> a possibility.  Since zfs-fuse is a dependency of libguestfs itself,
> though, I'm hoping someone has made the attempt other than myself
> and can provide a bit of insight, thanks in advance!

zfs-fuse is a dependency of libguestfs only so that you can use zpool
etc commands in the virt-rescue shell.  We have never got around to
wiring up ZFS in the libguestfs API itself.