[Libguestfs] libguestfs and zfs-fuse

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Mon Feb 3 20:29:37 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 3:16 pm, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 03:12:28PM -0500, Andre Goree wrote:
>> I'm wondering whether or not anyone has tried to use guestmount on
>> an image with a ZFS partition (MBR partition table).  I can't seem
>> to find much on the internet regarding it, but I do see hints that
>> may lead me to a solution.  I'm under the impression that libguestfs
>> can use what ever is available to the kernel on the host -- in my
>> case I have zfs-use installed and running.  I can't seem to mount
>> the image, however.
>
> Libguestfs can .. however we've never actually wired up ZFS support in
> the API, and therefore ZFS currently will not work from guestmount.
>
> It should be relatively easy to make it work.  Are there any ZFS-based
> test images we can test against?  I was testing a Solaris 11 image a
> few weeks ago but unfortunately Linux couldn't make any sense of it at
> all -- it seemed to be a much more fundamental problem at the
> partition level, and nothing specifically to do with ZFS.

Ahhh, understood.  I do have have an image I can provide that was
installed onto and MBR layout (seemed the easiest for libguestfs to
understand, GPT is preferred if libguestfs works well with it, but
that's another matter I can look into later).  Standby let me clean it
up a bit and I'll get it to you -- I'll put it on my box and send ya a
link offlist.

>> From the aforementioned link, I should use zpool import -d $(dir) -R
>> (mountpoint) to mount ZFS filesystems, however I'm not sure how to
>> reconcile that with the 'guestmount' command or whether or not it's
>> a possibility.  Since zfs-fuse is a dependency of libguestfs itself,
>> though, I'm hoping someone has made the attempt other than myself
>> and can provide a bit of insight, thanks in advance!
>
> zfs-fuse is a dependency of libguestfs only so that you can use zpool
> etc commands in the virt-rescue shell.  We have never got around to
> wiring up ZFS in the libguestfs API itself.
>
> Rich.

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

--
Andre Goree