[Libguestfs] Handling different architectures in virt-builder

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 13:19:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 01:29:39PM +0100, Pino Toscano wrote:
> On Friday 14 February 2014 16:08:10 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > If aarch64 becomes popular, then:
> >
> >   virt-builder fedora-20
> >
> > should build an aarch64 image.  Reason: building an x86-64 image isn't
> > very useful, because the user wouldn't immediately be able to run it
> > (or: it would run very very slowly).
>
> I'm not sure to understand: are you implying that at some point the
> default output might be aarch64 (or whatever is the cool arch at that
> time)?

No, I mean that on an aarch64 host, the default should be to build
aarch64 guests.  Otherwise people wouldn't be able to immediately run
the guests they build.

Thinking about this a bit more, there is a nasty corner case with 32
bit hosts -- eg. an i686 host or ppc32 host.  Should we build a 32 or
64 bit guest by default (without --arch)?  But such hosts are so rare
that I don't think we should worry about them.

> This sounds like a better idea indeed -- I guess also our current
> hardcoded remote location would become just a config file shipped by
> default? (This way distros can even not use it, if they feel to.)

Correct.  As I said if you want to implement this, go ahead!