[Libguestfs] Notes on building libguestfs in a systemd-nspawn container

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 10:39:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:28:31AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:50:35AM +0530, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> >
> > Again, for comparison, `make -k check` on _host_:
> >
> >     real    63m1.078s
> >     user    54m39.393s
> >     sys     12m8.130s
>
> Is KVM available in the container?  I've never tried that actually ..

I don't believe so. IIRC systemd-nspawn will populate a tmpfs on /dev
with only zero, null, full, random, unrandom, tty nodes.

If you use libvirt to setup the container then you can tell libvirt
to add in the /dev/kvm node too.

This shows how to setup the basic Fedora OS container

  https://www.berrange.com/posts/2013/08/12/running-a-full-fedora-os-inside-a-libvirt-lxc-guest/

Then update the XML to passthrough the /dev/kvm char device as a
hostdev:

  http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsHostDevCaps

Daniel