[Libguestfs] Status of R/W UFS

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 09:13:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 08:16:45PM -0500, Andre Goree wrote:
> Is r/w to a UFS partition using 'guestmount' still an impossibility?
> From everything I've found, it seems to be something that is not
> possible at the moment.  I was just wondering if that has changed or
> if there are plans to change that?

libguestfs just uses the Linux kernel's ufs driver.  If the Linux
kernel gets fixed, we get the ability automatically.

> Here is the issue I'm experiencing:
>
> ~# guestmount --rw -a ${disk_path}/${disk_name} -m /dev/sda4
> /tmp/freebsd-master
> libguestfs: error: mount_options: /dev/vda4 on /: mount: wrong fs
> type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vda4,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
> guestmount: '/dev/sda4' could not be mounted.  Did you mean one of
> these?
>         /dev/sda4 (ufs)

You can pass mount options, if that helps:

  http://libguestfs.org/guestmount.1.html#options
  guestmount --rw -a ... -m /dev/sda4:/:ufstype=44bsd /tmp/freebsd-master

ufstype must be specified exactly, since the root of the problem is
that UFS does not self-identify and exists in many variants.

However ...

> I have the output from '-- guestmount --rw -a
> ${disk_path}/${disk_name} --trace --verbose -m /dev/sda4
> /tmp/freebsd-master' here:  http://pastebin.com/NT2b2HM9

... the error seems to be:

[    1.979202] ufs was compiled with read-only support, can't be mounted as read-write

Basically you need to recompile your kernel with read-write UFS
support (or persuade whoever compiles your kernel to do the same).

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v