[Libguestfs] libguestfs on proxmox

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 18:33:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 08:50:27PM +0300, Keresztes Péter-Zoltán wrote:
> OK, that seam to work however it is not exactly the correct solution
> for me since I need to make it one command to be able to call it
> from an API

Understood.  What I'm trying to find out is why the ntfsresize utility
is failing when it is being run under virt-resize, since it is not
printing any error message but is returning a non-zero error code.

By running it under virt-rescue, you can test ntfsresize and also see
the full errors.

> I have no name!@(none):/# ntfsresize /dev/sda1
> ntfsresize v2012.1.15AR.5 (libntfs-3g)
> ERROR: Volume is scheduled for check.
> Run chkdsk /f and please try again, or see option -f.

I think this is the problem.

In virt-resize 1.20 and above you can use ``virt-resize --ntfsresize-force''
which has the same effect as passing the -f option to ntfsresize:

       --ntfsresize-force
           Pass the --force option to ntfsresize(8), allowing resizing even if
           the NTFS disk is marked as needing a consistency check.  You have
           to use this option if you want to resize a Windows guest multiple
           times without booting into Windows between each resize.

However I am not sure if this is safe.  You will have to ask the
ntfs-3g community whether running ntfsresize on a partition that is
marked as needing chkdsk is in fact safe, or if you are going to
have other problems from doing this.