[Libguestfs] Adventures in building libguestfs on non-x86 architectures for Debian

Hilko Bengen bengen at hilluzination.de
Sun Jul 6 19:43:59 UTC 2014

* Richard W.M. Jones:

>> Apparently, qemu-system-arm 2.0 as currently available through
>> Debian/unstable doesn't want to tell us anything about available devices
>> unless we specify a machine type. The patch below works around that
>> issue, but I haven't been able to run qemu-system-arm with a supermin
>> appliance on Debian's armhf porterbox so far: 100% CPU usage, no output
>> from the kernel.
>
> ARM is always fun to debug, but 32 bit ARM should be working.  It
> works for me anyway (using Fedora and qemu 1.x).

I just got around to revisiting the problem. Using
qemu-system-arm_2.0.0+dfsg-6 from Debian/unstable, booting vexpress-a15
doesn't seem to work, but vexpress-a9 does. I successfully built and did
a "make quickcheck" on an armhf porterbox with the patch attached below.
Is there any specific reason why -a15 was chosen that might make this a
bad idea?

I alos noticed that there seems to be a plan to use -M virt at some
point for 32bit arm. Can qemu generate the device tree internally yet?

Cheers,
-Hilko