[Libguestfs] golang binding help

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Jul 12 10:00:29 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:28:00AM +0400, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 06:18:12PM +0400, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> >> Hello. I'm very happy with libguestfs, but now i'm try to write packer
> >> plugin to strip images:
> >
> > Packer is: http://www.packer.io/intro ?
>
> Yes, i'm try to build cloud images using it. Does it possible to add
> ability to resize freebsd slices ?

It depends entirely on what the Linux kernel and tools can do.  If
there are properly maintained Linux tools for resizing BSD slices,
then it should be no problem to add this.

Compare with 'ntfsresize', where ntfs-3g exists and is well-maintained
and available in the majority of Linux distros.

> I think that golang bindings need separate repo, may be autogenerate
> bindings and push resulted files to separate github repo.... In this
> case peaples can do go get github.com/libguestfs/go-libguestfs and
> have a package.  And build it with or without CGO_ENABLED (static or
> dynamic). But in case of autogenerated binding i don't know how to
> write docs and keep it sync with code...

The trouble with a separate repository is that it would quickly go out
of date compared to the current API.  That's why we strongly prefer to
keep the bindings in tree (and of course generated, not hand-written).

Can we not build some kind of tarball?  A similar situation was
proposed for accepting libguestfs bindings into Python pypi.