[Libguestfs] libguestfs supermin error

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 14:32:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 05:43:26PM +0530, abhishek jain wrote:
> libguestfs: [00014ms] begin testing qemu features
> libguestfs: command: run: /usr/bin/kvm
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -display none
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -help
> libguestfs: command: run: /usr/bin/kvm
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -display none
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -version
> libguestfs: qemu version 2.0
> libguestfs: command: run: /usr/bin/kvm
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -display none
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -machine accel=kvm:tcg
> libguestfs: command: run: \ -device ?
> libguestfs: [00377ms] finished testing qemu features
> [00378ms] /usr/bin/kvm \

The big question is what is "kvm"?  It claims to be an
instance of qemu 2.0, yet doesn't advertize the -M pseries
machine type.

Looking at the output of -M \? which you helpfully supplied, it seems
to be qemu-system-ppc (not qemu-system-ppc64).

Although the name of the hypervisor is compiled into libguesstfs at
configure time, it's possible to override it at run time by setting
the LIBGUESTFS_HV environment variable (previously LIBGUESTFS_QEMU ..
you can set either).  I suggest setting it to
/usr/bin/qemu-system-ppc64

This is a bug in the Ubuntu qemu package.  KVM and qemu have long been
unified upstream, so there is no need for a separate "kvm" binary, esp
one pointing to the wrong binary.

About the previous issue: renaming the binary worked because supermin
falls back to looking at the filename for the version number.  There
is still a bug hiding there, which is that we can't read the version
number out of the binary kernel image, for some reason.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v