[Libguestfs] Offline virtio installation on Windows 2012R2

Nikos Skalkotos skalkoto at grnet.gr
Fri Jun 13 08:34:08 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I'm trying to automate the installation of the VirtIO drivers on a
Windows image in the same way it is done in [1] and [2].

Registering the viostor service and adding the driver under the
HKEY_LOCALE_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\CriticalDeviceDatabase
registry key, makes an Windows 2008R2 image boot if the hd is under the
virtio interface, but I cannot make this work for Windows 2012R2. As far
as I've seen, the CDDB registry keys are deprecated in newer Windows and
creating them back does not seem to make this work.

Has anybody had any luck with this? Is there any other way to do it for
newer Windows?

If this does not work out, I'll probably try to add the driver
installations process in a RunOnce registry entry, boot the image using
the ide interface and reboot it using VirtIO after the drivers have been
installed, but I wanted to know if there is an easier way to do this.

Thank you in advanced,
Nikos

[1] https://github.com/libguestfs/hivex/blob/master/sh/example6
[2]