[Libguestfs] Xen drivers for virt-builder images

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 19:34:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 06:15:33PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> I've just been playing around with virt-builder, and it seems like a
> pretty useful tool.  However, it seems that in a number of the images,
> the initrd file is missing drivers for Xen virtual block and network
> devices.  This results in a VM that can't find its root device.
>
> The files needed are drivers/block/xen-blkfront.ko and
> drivers/net/xen-netfront.ko.  They seem to be present in centos-6 and
> ubuntu-14.04, but not in rhel-7rc or fedora-20.
>
> Whom would I contact to get these added?

That would likely be me or Pino Toscano, but read on :-)

Firstly I'd like to say that the current images shipped in
http://libguestfs.org/download/builder/ are a temporary solution that
has turned out to be more permanent than we wished for.  Eventually we
want to simply use the cloud images shipped by the Linux distros, and
just provide simple metadata and the virt-builder front end.  When we
do that (and it's not a huge change) then the issue of drivers for
Xen, VMware, virtio, etc will be up to the distros to solve.

However at the moment we could add Xen drivers to our current scripts,
located here:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/tree/master/builder/website (*.sh)

For Fedora and RHEL, it would require a modest change to the kickstart
embedded in those scripts, plus rebuilding the images and reuploading
them.

Do you know what extra packages have to be installed or commands need
to be run to enable Xen drivers in Fedora?