[Libguestfs] Offline virtio installation on Windows 2012R2

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 12:03:03 UTC 2014

I think the way we did this originally was to examine how other
installers worked and what changes they made to the Registry.

You can grab the registry content before and after running a
particular installer, eg:

  $ virt-win-reg windows.img 'HKLM\SYSTEM' > old-system.reg
  # run the installer
  $ virt-win-reg windows.img 'HKLM\SYSTEM' > new-system.reg
  $ diff -ur old-system.reg new-system.reg

You can also use virt-diff to show the differences between the entire
disk image before and after.

  http://libguestfs.org/virt-win-reg.1.html#synopsis
  http://libguestfs.org/virt-diff.1.html