[Libguestfs] About Guest running Tiny Core Linux

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Mar 23 12:26:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 04:03:11PM -0400, Arup Raton Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Tiny Core Linux for the guests running on KVM. Is it
> possible to use libguestsfs tools for this kind of VMs?

Yes.

There are two caveats: Firstly inspection might not work for all
guests.  To understand what inspection is, see:

  http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#whats-the-deal-with-guestfish--i

Secondly, we should be able to inspect all Linux guests, including
Tiny Core Linux, but it looks like in this case it is failing.  This
is a bug.

> For example, VM_TC (the name of the VM provided in libvirt) uses a
> qcow2 disk image. This disk image is created from iso file of Tiny
> Core Linux using qemu-img utility.

I'm not clear exactly on how you are creating the guest.  Can you show
us what commands you use to go from the ISO file to the guest?

Also can you use:

  qemu-img info disk.img

and:

  virt-filesystems --all --long -h -a disk.img

to show us exactly the format of the container and the partitions etc
inside the container.

> My host is ubuntu 12.04. I have tried to use virt-ls tool but could
> not succeed and is receiving the following error. Your help in this
> regard is highly appreciated.
>
> virt-ls -d VM_TC /
> virt-ls: no operating system was found on this disk
[...]

You should enable debugging by setting the environment variables shown
here:

  http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#debugging-libguestfs

Then send us the complete, unedited output from the virt-ls command.
It will help us to diagnose exactly why inspection is failing.