[Libguestfs] Hivex3: Saving values - always string

Martin Klíma martin.klima at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 13:38:01 UTC 2014

Hallo,

I working on GUI interface for users to manipulate Windows Registry. For
that I choose to use really excellent library hivex3. Just now I'm
performing same test to see, if everything is saved correctly.

Most of things work really well, but there is problem with saving some
values and his types.

Description of problem:

For saving values is used function : node_set_values or node_set_value
This function take 3 arguments, node name, value type and value. It
seems that this function accept for value only strings (any other type
throw error). The problem lay when I want save values differed then
string. For example:

value1 = { "key": "TEST_DWORD2(150)", "t": 4, "value": "150" }

Result is saving value "150" not like DWORD but like STRING -> 0x313530,
which is not valid DWORD value for Win Regedit.
This same is with saving binary values, binary or hex is handle like string.

So is there any way how to force library to take this type correctly?

I'm using:

hivex3 - 1.3.7
python - 2.7.5

Thanks for any advice