[Libguestfs] supermin and dpkg-divert

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 09:55:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 10:18:41PM +0100, Hilko Bengen wrote:
> While trying to run libguestfs tests after building with
> "--enable-appliance --with-supermin-extra-options=--use-installed", I
> ran into a peculiar error message in the c-api test:
>
> ,----
> | libguestfs: error: strings: /abssymlink: strings: error while loading
> | shared libraries: libbfd-2.24-multiarch.so: cannot open shared object
> | file: No such file or directory
> `----
>
> The problem here is that I have the binutils-multiarch package installed
> which has used dpkg-divert(8) to override the "regular" binutils
> binaries.
>
> ,----
> | $ dpkg-divert --list /usr/bin/strings
> | diversion of /usr/bin/strings to /usr/bin/strings.single by binutils-multiarch
> `----

I'm really unclear even after reading the dpkg-divert man page what
dpkg-divert does.  Is it designed so that package B can move package
A's files around?

Is it possible for the dpkg supermin plugin to simply change ft_path
when it detects that the original file has been diverted?

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v