[Libguestfs] virt-v2v: Died at /usr/bin/virt-p2v-server line 411

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 19:09:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 04:52:35PM +0000, Matthew Booth wrote:
> On 10/11/14 16:01, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 04:12:35PM +0100, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In a oVirt 3.4.4 environnement, and using a
> >> virt-p2v-0.9.1-2.20130730.1.el6.centos, I'm trying to convert a
> >> windows 2003 server 32 bits into an oVirt KVM image.
> >>
> >> I already succeed doing that many times, but now, this is failing :
> >> - All the usual process sounds good :
> >> PXE -> DHCP -> connection to the P2V server -> choosing the profile
> >> -> (checking the debug option) -> running the conversion
> >>
> >> But in the end (100%), the only error message I get is :
> >> "virt-v2v: Died at /usr/bin/virt-p2v-server line 411"
> >> which does not help me that much, because it is related to some
> >> conversion made by libguestfs, I suppose, and I correctly installed
> >> the libguestfs-winsupport files into the correct directories.
> >>
> >> An evidence of that is a recent failure when converting from KVM to
> >> oVirt (so : _V_2V), SOLVED by installing the correct directories in
> >> the correct places.
> >>
> >> As I recently switched in this almost-new virt-p2p version (0.9.1),
> >> I was able to activate some useful logs that are available there :
> >> https://www.ecarnot.net/tmp/virt-p2v-server.1415622286.log.gz
> >>
> >> It has been days since I'm trying to contact Matthew via IRC, but he
> >> seems to love travelling away for it, and I pray he would find a
> >> minute to read this and give a hint.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nicolas Ecarnot

> > Matt - any ideas?
> >
> > There is also the new version of p2v/v2v available, although it
> > requires recent Fedora or RHEL/Centos 7.0.
>
> This is the last thing it does before unwinding:
>
> libguestfs: trace: cp "/transferxdTiHj/windows/rhev-apt.exe" "/Program
> Files/RedHat/V2V Firstboot"
> libguestfs: trace: cp = 0
>
> So, maybe the guest is out of disk space, or has filesystem corruption?

New v2v enforces a minimum free space on mountable fses which I don't
think was in the old version.  If c:\ has less than 50 MB free it will
refuse to convert it.  Use 'virt-df' to check.

That said I would be surprised if the 'cp' succeeded but v2v crashed
suddenly because of insufficient space.

Rich.