[Libguestfs] virt-v2v: Died at /usr/bin/virt-p2v-server line 411

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Wed Nov 19 11:58:11 UTC 2014

Le 19/11/2014 10:47, Richard W.M. Jones a écrit :
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 09:08:36AM +0100, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
>> I tried to use the virt-p2v-make-disk, but it failed to connect to a
>> libvirt socket (obviously, there is none running in this VM.)
>
> To avoid libvirt problems, do:
>
>    export LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND=direct
>
> Why don't you use the ISO?  Burn it onto a CD and boot it.
>
> Rich.

OK Richard,

I promised I would wait a day before getting back to this issue, but you
know how to tease a sysadmin ;)

Well, I did boot your iso file as a CD, and now it is booting and I get
the very last version of virt-p2v (Wow, lots of additionnal options :
great!).

I can confirm the ssh test connexion is useful and always working.
I like the new fields I can fill to (try to) direct the flow towards a
real oVirt/RHEV NFS storage domain.

But it is now failing with an error message telling it can not connect
to the local socket /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock.

I guess this is related to your previous answer :
On 19/11/2014 10:47, Richard W.M. Jones wrote :
 > On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 09:08:36AM +0100, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
 >> I tried to use the virt-p2v-make-disk, but it failed to connect to a
 >> libvirt socket (obviously, there is none running in this VM.)
 >
 > To avoid libvirt problems, do:
 >
 >    export LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND=direct

But in this use case, I don't know where to set this variable?
I'd be glad to set it on the source machine, before running the virt-p2v
GUI. But the usual alt-F1 or alt-F2 does not give me a shell prompt
anymore. Instead, a quickly blinking message shows it is trying to
(systemctl) start the service and fails.
I'd be glad to set it in the conversion server, but where and when?

In case this could be useful, here is below the versions implied :
- virt-v2v: libguestfs 1.28.1 (x86_64)
- virt-p2v-20141119

At this point, I guess I have something to do on the conversion server...?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot