[Libguestfs] Plan for libguestfs 1.28

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 09:57:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:49:59AM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > It has been an amazing 6½ months since the last stable release of
> > libguestfs.
> >
> > I'd like to plan a new 1.28 release soon.
> >
> > Please follow-up if there are features / blockers / bugs that need to
> > be addressed for 1.28.
>
> I see master failing in my SLE11 builds since some time. Currently it
> fails with a syntax error. Are bison-2.3 of flex-2.5.35 too old?
> [  413s] make index-parse.h
> [  413s] /usr/src/packages/BUILD/libguestfs-1.27.60/builder/index-parse.y:60.1-5: invalid directive: `%code'
> [  413s] /usr/src/packages/BUILD/libguestfs-1.27.60/builder/index-parse.y:60.7-14: syntax error, unexpected identifier

The commit which causes this failure is:

  commit c871ed6b50e8e7fbfc2bd6cab2ceeaacd8449d71
  Author: Pino Toscano <ptoscano at redhat.com>
  Date:   Wed Mar 19 15:42:45 2014 +0100

    builder: make the C index parser reentrant

    Switch the lex/yacc parser into reentrant mode, to ease the handling of
    parsing-specific data; introduce a new parser_context struct for that,
    which is added as extra data to the parser.

    This should cause no behaviour changes in the parsing, just no more
    global variables used for getting data in/out the parser.

Indeed it uses a feature of bison which was added in 2.4.2 (Mar 2010).

Is there a chance of using a newer version of bison?  The alternative
might be to see if reverting that patch still works, and carrying the
revert as a downstream patch.