[Libguestfs] Autotools help needed

Hi folks!
I'm trying to convince autotools to allow me to include fish.c in a C file containing a bunch of unit tests. In order to do that I need to convince it add include path (-I../) to gcc for that particular file (test-quoting.c originally, but dash seems to make troubles as well).
I came up with this (snippet from Makefile.am):

bin_TESTS = testquoting

testquoting_CFLAGS = -I../

TESTS = testquoting

And it does not work (snippet of make check output):

gcc -std=gnu99 -std=gnu99 -g -O2    testquoting.c   -o testquoting
In file included from testquoting.c:4:0:
fish.c:19:20: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory
 #include <config.h>

Could you please share your thoughts on this?
The motivation to include fish.c is storage type (static) of functions of interest.

thanks,
- m