[Libguestfs] Why is virt-resize designed to involve two disks?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 12:11:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 06:19:21PM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
> As you've known, vhd-util and qemu-img both provide the capacity for
> resizing the original disk,

.. although they only resize the container, not the contents which is
what virt-resize does.  So these tools are not really comparable.

> but why is virt-resize designed to involve
> two disks, not only original disk? Is there any concern? Is it
> possible that only one original disk is involved in virt-resize?

I'm guessing this question is why virt-resize doesn't work on disk
images in-place.

This I hope is answered in the FAQ here:

  http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#why-doesnt-virt-resize-work-on-the-disk-image-in-place