[Libguestfs] Why libguestfs guest exist exceptionally?

Zhi Yong Wu zwu.kernel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 10:33:53 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 04:30:37PM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> On a RHEL5 box, i tried to directly run guest which was issued by
>> libguestfs virt-xxx commands as below. But after some minutes, it
>> exited exceptionally.
>>
>> Does anyone also hit the issue or know the reason?
>
> As it says in the error message itself:
>
>> Failed to connect to virtio-serial channel.
>>
>> This is a fatal error and the appliance will now exit.
>>
>> Usually this error is caused by either QEMU or the appliance
>> kernel not supporting the vmchannel method that the
>> libguestfs library chose to use.  Please run
>> 'libguestfs-test-tool' and provide the complete, unedited
>> output to the libguestfs developers, either in a bug report
>> or on the libguestfs redhat com mailing list.
>
> Which version of libguestfs is this?  I think you'll have no hope of
#rpm -qa | grep libguestfs
libguestfs-1.20.8-1
libguestfs-tools-c-1.20.8-1
> getting upstream libguestfs to run on RHEL 5.  There is a branch
Yes. The upstream maybe be involving in libvirtd, you know, there is
no libvirtd on RHEL5
> ('oldlinux') which may still work:
>
> https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/commits/oldlinux
I will try it.

By the way, the libguestfs src can't build one available base.img and
daemon.img.

#ll /usr/lib64/guestfs/supermin.d/
total 1752
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    1536 Sep 27 14:39 base.img    <----- it can't work.
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1760768 Sep 27 14:39 daemon.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   10772 Sep 27 14:39 hostfiles
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    4608 Sep 27 14:39 init.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    2048 Sep 27 14:39 udev-rules.img

--
Regards,

Zhi Yong Wu