[Libguestfs] Next stable release?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 11:52:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 08:59:19AM +0100, Margaret Lewicka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any chances of next stable release appearing soonish? I'm
> getting pushback from Homebrew maintainers about the massive amount of
> patching required to build the current stable on Mac, since all the
> patches have been merged in after last stable.

Not any time soon.  I wonder why the number of patches matters?  In
RHEL 7.1, libguestfs ships with 103 patches -- we manage them in a git
branch, which is quite simple.

> (I'm also getting pushback about the 4GB download of virtual
> appliance, but as I understand that one is non-optional. Don't suppose
> there is a chance of making it thin?)

The appliance is already sparse:

$ du -sh /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/appliance.d/*
1.2M /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/appliance.d/initrd
5.6M /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/appliance.d/kernel
385M /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/appliance.d/root

If it's 4 GB for you, then it's likely that the way you're packaging
it doesn't preserve sparseness.  Maybe tar or xz compress it before
packaging it?

Unfortunately because of the way the appliance is built we cannot use
a different format (eg. compressed qcow2) for it, even though that
would make sense.