[Libguestfs] FC22: virt-p2v-make-kickstart/livecd-creator doesn't build

Martin Breault martyb at creenet.com
Tue Aug 11 10:51:05 UTC 2015

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 04:23:24PM -0400, Martin Breault wrote:
>> Are there 32-bit compatible images available?
> I meant to ask you about this.  Do you need this because the hardware
> is 32 bit only?  If the hardware is x86-64 then you can use the 64 bit
> virt-p2v ISO fine, even though the OS is 32 bit.
>
> The reason we don't build 32 bit virt-p2v ISOs any more is because
> since RHEL 7 we dropped support for x86:
>
>    https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-limits
>
> Building a RHEL 6-based modern virt-p2v is possible, but would require
> some non-trivial effort, particularly around testing and certification.
>
> It should be possible to build a Fedora-based 32 bit ISO, modulo the
> other bugs in livecd-creator etc.
>
> Rich.
Hello,

Yes sadly the hardware is 32-bit only, and running Win2003 to boot.

I tried doing a P2V using Centos6 ISO + Centos6 P2V server and although
all things seemed to export correctly without errors to the export
domain of my oVirt, the resulting VM (that has virtio as the disk
driver) gives doesn't boot either with VirtIO or IDE as a disk driver,
throwing an error about the boot device.  This is why I was hoping with
a newer FC-22 iso and conversion server I would have better luck.

I know Windows2003 is supposed to be supported.  I guess I will
re-install with Centos6 and figure out if I can run a plain exported
.raw image on a standalone KVM before I re-attempt at oVirt.

What commandline were you using with livemedia-creator?  I think there
is a way to send --vnc as a parameter to watch via a vnc viewer what is
going on.

Your help is appreciated!

Martin