[Libguestfs] packaging virtio-win

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 09:49:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 05:56:48PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> - There are many consumers of the iso layout as it is right now. Any
> changes in the short to medium term need to be entirely additive so
> we can get the new layout right without breaking every consumer. So
> keep the existing iso layout of $drivername/$weird-os/$arch, but
> _add_ the $arch/$standard-os/* layout, and avoid duplicates by
> hardlinking identical files (the scripts on github already have code
> that handles the last bit).

May also be worth asking who the current consumers are.

Virt-v2v is one of them.

Are there others?  (GNOME Boxes?)

Virt-v2v uses a very simple scheme where it looks at each path element
for magic strings (eg. "/win2003/" or "/x86/") and from that it works
out what Windows OS + arch the drivers in that directory are intended
for.  It's flexible enough that we can easily change it, but only if
we're told what the new convention will be.

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/windows.ml#L132-L165