[Libguestfs] unknown/unavailable method for expanding the ntfs filesystem

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 08:46:55 UTC 2015

[Please keep replies on the list!]

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:46:00AM +0800, Jeffrey wrote:

>     libguestfs-winsupport-7.1-4.el7.x86_64 doesn't work for me either. :(
>

>     >./run guestfish -a /dev/null run : supported
>              acl yes
>           augeas yes
>       blkdiscard yes
> blkdiscardzeroes yes
>            btrfs yes
>         extlinux yes
>           fstrim yes
>            gdisk yes
>             grub no
>            hivex yes
>          inotify yes
>          journal yes
>              ldm no
>        linuxcaps yes
>      linuxfsuuid yes
>     linuxmodules yes
>      linuxxattrs yes
>             luks yes
>             lvm2 yes
>            mdadm yes
>            mknod yes
>           ntfs3g no
>        ntfsprogs no

[...]

> It seems guestfish can not find ntfs3g and ntfsprogs. I have tried
> installing "ntfs-3g" and "ntfsprogs" packages from epel, but
> guestfish still can't find any ntfs support.

This won't work.  In RHEL you need to have libguestfs-winsupport.

I didn't realize before you were compiling your own copy of
libguestfs.  In that case what you have to do to make it work is:

  $ cp /usr/lib64/guestfs/supermin.d/zz-winsupport appliance.d/supermin.d/

since local builds of libguestfs use their own supermin appliance.