[Libguestfs] [libguestfs] RFE: virt-builder ability to print definition for single template (new option or expand --notes) (#20)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 29 17:58:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 03:51:51PM -0800, Ryan Sawhill Aroha wrote:
> The `virt-builder --notes <TEMPLATE>` command is nice, but I really wish it printed the full template definition, eg, something like this:
>
> ```
> $ virt-builder --notes centos-70
>
> [centos-70]
> name=CentOS 70
> osinfo=centos70
> arch=x86_64
> file=centos-70xz
> checksum=cf9ae295f633fbd04e575eeca16f372e933c70c3107c44eb06864760d04354aa94b4f356bfc9a598c138e687304a52e96777e4467e7db1ec0cb5b2d2ec61affc
> format=raw
> size=6442450944
> compressed_size=213203844
> expand=/dev/sda3
> notes=CentOS 70
>
> This CentOS image contains only unmodified @Core group packages
>
> It is thus very minimal  The kickstart and install script can be
> found in the libguestfs source tree:
>
> builder/website/centossh
> ```

One problem with this is that the 'index' format isn't the only
metadata format we now support.  (SimpleStreams is another).

However there is an intermediate format we use internally, and those
fields could be printed by --notes or some other mechanism.
https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/builder/index.mli

This would be suitable for an RFE in Bugzilla.

> Or maybe it could be like `virt-builder --list-format long --list`
> (all prettified), but only for a particular template
>
> I think normal users need this option to be able to check the
> `osinfo=` value for use with `virt-install` without having to
> scroll/grep through all their templates

We definitely need a way to get at the osinfo information more easily.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v