[Libguestfs] make install ignoring PREFIX for bash_completion

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 20:55:29 UTC 2015

> > After using 'python sdist', can't you use the tarball (in python/dist)
> > in order to create a venv directly?
>
> I think I will be able to install the python library in the venv using
> the tarball. However, won't my liguestfs application require some of
> the binaries installed as part of 'make install' for running? I am
> trying to not have libguestfs installed outside of the venv.

Yes, it'll require only the following files and directory (using their
normal install location):

  /usr/lib64/libguestfs.so.0 -> libguestfs.so.0.<N>.0
  /usr/lib64/libguestfs.so.0.<N>.0
  /usr/lib64/guestfs/supermin.d

You can move these files/directory anywhere you want.  You will need
to set the environment variables `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' so that the shared
library is found, and `LIBGUESTFS_PATH' so that the supermin.d
directory can be found (you have to set LIBGUESTFS_PATH to the
*parent* directory of supermin.d).

If you look at the 'run' script which is created in the top level
source directory you can see some of the many environment variables
that may be set and how they are used.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW