[Libguestfs] Mounting disk images with ext2 filesystems on RHEL7

Leonard Basuino lenny at releaseonellc.com
Mon Feb 16 23:00:06 UTC 2015

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.  I don't know if what I
am trying to do should work or not.

I have 2 disk images.  One is a VM with an ext2 boot filesystem and ext4
filesystems with the OS loaded.  I am amble to guestmount this with no
issue and am able to see the files that are on the ext2 file system.

I can also run guestfish on the image, mount the ext2 filesystem, and list
the files.

However, the second image I have is only a boot disk image with just an
ext2 filesystem.

guestmount complains that there is no OS and won't mount.

guestfish complains "...wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock...".

Should I be able to mount a boot disk image with guestmount?
I suspect I'll have to use the -m (mount) option and not -i (as I did for
the image with an OS), but that failed too even though I passed in the fs
type of ext2,

Why would I be able to mount, via guestfish, the ext2 in the first image
(with other filesystems of type ext4) but not the disk image with only an
ext2 filesystem?

TIA!

Lenny B.