[Libguestfs] Mounting disk images with ext2 filesystems on RHEL7

Leonard Basuino lenny at releaseonellc.com
Tue Feb 17 18:37:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 06:00:06PM -0500, Leonard Basuino wrote:
> > Hope someone can point me in the right direction.  I don't know if what I
> > am trying to do should work or not.
> >
> > I have 2 disk images.  One is a VM with an ext2 boot filesystem and ext4
> > filesystems with the OS loaded.  I am amble to guestmount this with no
> > issue and am able to see the files that are on the ext2 file system.
> >
> > I can also run guestfish on the image, mount the ext2 filesystem, and
> list
> > the files.
> >
> > However, the second image I have is only a boot disk image with just an
> > ext2 filesystem.
> >
> > guestmount complains that there is no OS and won't mount.
>
> What you really need to do is run:
>
>   virt-filesystems -a second-disk.img --all --long -h
>
> which will tell you what filesystems (etc) are available in the second
> image.
>

> The only filesystem is /dev/sda1 of type ext2

> > guestfish complains "...wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock...".
>
> Try using guestfish -v -x flags to provide extra information about
> this error.  See:
>
> http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#debug

I get the following debug info:

mount -o /dev/sda1 /
[ <time> ] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounting ext2 file system using the ext4
subsystem
[ <time> ] EXT4-fs (sda1): bad geometry: block count 104388 exceeds size of
device (103408 blocks)
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1

also, trying to mount the image with:
mount -t ext2 <image> <mount point>
returns:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0
the end of dmesg has:
[<time>] EXT4-fs (loop0): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

This has me wondering because the debug messages from guestfish -v -x
indicate it is mouting ext2 with ext4.
EXT4-fs (sdb): mounting ext2 filesystem using the ext4 subsystem

So is the problem that there is no ext4 filesystem in the image and RHEL 7
is having issues with it?