[Libguestfs] supermin on arm

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 10:18:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 07:37:47PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was testing oz/imagefactory on 32 bit arm, you have to have
> kernel-lpae installed to run kvm.  while you can have the regular
> kernel installed also. You end up having the system booting the regular
> kernel and you do not get kvm. Ideally supermin will work with the lpae
> kernel.
> https://github.com/libguestfs/supermin/blob/master/src/kernel.ml#L112
> explictly removes it.

This check was added in the following commit:

  commit dc3e43babd76883df0493b57d563ca3b69e2662c
  Author: Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
  Date:   Thu Aug 1 11:49:15 2013 +0100

      helper: On arm, don't choose a .lpae or .tegra kernel.

      The vexpress-aX emulation we are using in qemu doesn't support these
      kernels.

The concern was that the lpae kernels don't boot under qemu.  If they
do, then I can remove this check.

Can you see if supermin works if you set some variation of:

  export SUPERMIN_KERNEL=/boot/vmlinuz-<version>.lpae
  export SUPERMIN_KERNEL_VERSION=<version>
  export SUPERMIN_MODULES=/lib/modules/<version>.lpae

which should bypass the check.

You might also need to set SUPERMIN_DTB to point to a DTB, or maybe
not if qemu is generating device trees correctly on ARM 32 bit these
days.

Roll on aarch64 :-)