[Libguestfs] Name resolution not working inside virt-customize

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 12:13:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 04:59:32PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On 03/13/2015 01:29 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> >I wonder why dhclient doesn't create /etc/resolv.conf .
> >

> FWIW, I've also found that on the fedora 21 host, supermin passes
> all 8 "make check" tests. On the Ubuntu 14.04 host, it fails 2 of 8.
> The log is attached.

The failures almost certainly have nothing to do with the problem at
hand.  They seem to happen because you don't have 'augeas-tools'
installed which is required for the test suite.

> Additionally there are other weird differences, like /etc/passwd and
> /etc/shadow and many other /etc files present in the working
> appliance are missing on the non-working one.

"working" == Fedora?  I wouldn't pay too much attention to these
differences.

I went back and had a look at the guestfish-network-test*.log files
that you sent previously, and there is one major problem:
virtio_net.ko doesn't exist on your host (or it does exist, but
supermin isn't picking it up for the appliance, but this unlikely).

This explains why the network doesn't work and why dhclient doesn't
work too.  I don't know why virtio-net isn't used -- perhaps it isn't
compiled into your host kernel.