[Libguestfs] Name resolution not working inside virt-customize

Lee Revell leer at inmotionhosting.com
Tue Mar 10 20:41:22 UTC 2015

Hi!

I am trying to use virt-customize to add packages to an image. However
it seems that there is a problem where a resolv.conf is not being
installed and thus package installation fails.

The command is:

virt-customize -v -x -a trusty-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img
--run-command "host openstack.org"

I am having a hard time gathering complete output as the command seems
to corrupt my terminal somehow but I think the relevant lines may be:

[   3.0] Running: host openstack.org
running command:
exec >>'/tmp/builder.log' 2>&1

host openstack.org

libguestfs: trace: sh "exec >>'/tmp/builder.log' 2>&1\n\n\nhost
openstack.org\n"
guestfsd: main_loop: new request, len 0x60
mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /sysroot/dev/pts
mount: mount point /sysroot/dev/pts does not exist
mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
mount --bind /sys/fs/selinux /sysroot/selinux
mount: mount point /sysroot/selinux does not exist
mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
mount --bind /sys/fs/selinux /sysroot/sys/fs/selinux
mount: mount point /sysroot/sys/fs/selinux does not exist
renaming /sysroot/etc/resolv.conf to /sysroot/etc/g1fbx1fs
cp /etc/resolv.conf /sysroot/etc/resolv.conf
cp: cannot stat '/etc/resolv.conf': No such file or directory
/bin/sh -c exec >>'/tmp/builder.log' 2>&1

host openstack.org

And the command fails due to the missing resolv.conf.

I am using version 1.28.6 build from source on ubuntu 14.04. The same
image file listed above works perfectly when launched as an openstack
instance.

Thanks,

Lee Revell