[Libguestfs] Inspection of disk snapshots

NoxDaFox noxdafox at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:34:21 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I have the following typical scenario: given one or more qcow2 base images
I clone them with COW and start the VMs.

At a certain point I'd like to inspect them in order to see their evolution
compared to the known base images. To do so I was thinking about taking a
disk snapshot of each VM and inspect its content through libguestfs (using
it's Python bindings).

Obviously I need the base image in order for libguestfs to correctly guess
the OS, the FS structure etc.. Problem is that that point when I inspect
the disk I get the whole disk state including the base image content (30K+
files and directories).

This is not an issue but it's a very heavy operation considering that some
of the snapshots are few megabytes while the base images are several
gigabytes.

Is there a way to programmatically instruct libguestfs to limit the
inspection to the sole snapshot?
Would it work as well with other disk format (vmdk linked clones for
example)?

For better comprehension I'll show the sequence I'm doing (I might do it
wrong of course):

virsh -c "qemu:///system" snapshot-create --disk-only <domain-ID>

I get the snapshot location from its XML description and then:

qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 base_image.qcow2 snapshot.qcow2

At that point I mount it through libguestfs and inspect its content.

Thank you.