[Libguestfs] Point-in-time snapshots (was: Re: Inspection of disk snapshots)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 15:35:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 03:21:25PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:31:41PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > For 'sync': 'full' mode qemu-nbd or nbd-server can be used as the
> > > server.  You probably don't want 'format': 'qcow2', just raw data over
> > > NBD.  That way the NBD server can implement whatever storage backend it
> > > likes (raw, qcow2, something else).
> > >
> > > For incremental backup the NBD server would either be a qemu-nbd
> > > instance with a qcow2 image and backing file:
> > >
> > >   full-backup.img <- incremental-1.qcow2 <- incremental-2.qcow2
> > >
> > > Or the NBD server would be a custom backup application that does
> > > something smart with the incoming NBD WRITE requests.
> >
> > What I care about is connecting libguestfs to qemu and reading a
> > snapshot at some point in time, even though the guest is still writing
> > away to its disks.  Is this possible with drive-backup (or otherwise)?
>
> Yes, that is what drive-backup does.
>
> New writes coming from the guest are held up until the old data has been
> written to the NBD target.
>
> That way you get a point-in-time snapshot while the guest continues
> running.

I understand how that can work for backups, where you want to copy
a whole disk consistently.

But libguestfs doesn't want to do a backup, nor get a copy of the
whole disk, it just wants to access a scattering of blocks (maybe a
few hundred) but at a single point in time, in as lightweight a manner
as possible.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v