[Libguestfs] Concurrent scanning of same disk

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 28 07:10:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 09:48:41AM +0300, NoxDaFox wrote:

> > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 09:38:38AM +0300, NoxDaFox wrote:
> > >  * RuntimeError: file receive cancelled by daemon - On r =
> > > libguestfsmod.checksums_out (self._o, csumtype, directory, sumsfile)
> > >  * RuntimeError: hivex_close: do_hivex_close: you must call 'hivex-open'
> > > first to initialize the hivex handle - On r = libguestfsmod.inspect_os
> > > (self._o)
> >
> > This error is likely to be -EIO (it's actually a bug in libguestfs
> > that it doesn't report these properly in the error message).  However
> > we cannot be sure unless you enable debugging and get the complete
> > messages.
> >
> > http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#debugging-libguestfs
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> I'm starting to wonder whether these errors are due to the fact that I
> compare snapshots of unconsistent disks. If so, is there a way to instruct
> guestfs to ignore corrupted files?

Are the snapshots "consistent"? - ie. taken in such as way that they
provide a single point-in-time view across the whole disk?  You
mentioned using 'qemu-img convert' before.  'qemu-img convert' on its
own will not take a consistent snapshot (well, not unless you pause
the guest during the copy, or you use some fancy new backup features
recently added to qemu).

> It's a bit challenging to generate such logs as the error appears every now
> ant then.
> Here's the log related to a "RuntimeError: file receive cancelled by
> daemon".
[...]
> mount -o  /dev/sda2 /sysroot/
> The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
> The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.
> libguestfs: trace: mount = 0
> libguestfs: trace: checksums_out "sha1" "/" "/tmp/tmpAWHkYv"
> guestfsd: main_loop: proc 1 (mount) took 2.02 seconds
> guestfsd: main_loop: new request, len 0x38
> cd /sysroot/ && find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sha1sum
> [   25.580340] perf interrupt took too long (2540 > 2500), lowering
> kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50000
> sha1sum: ./Windows/Prefetch/ReadyBoot/Trace7.fx: Value too large for
> defined data type
> [   67.835952] perf interrupt took too long (5048 > 5000), lowering
> kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 25000
> [  143.304037] perf interrupt took too long (10010 > 10000), lowering
> kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 12500
> pclose: /: Success
> guestfsd: main_loop: proc 244 (checksums_out) took 245.25 seconds
> libguestfs: trace: checksums_out = -1 (error)
[...]
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/guestfs.py", line 1427, in
> checksums_out
>     r = libguestfsmod.checksums_out (self._o, csumtype, directory, sumsfile)
> RuntimeError: file receive cancelled by daemon

The error is confusing, but I think you are correct that it happens
because the filesystem is unclean at the point at which it was
snapshotted, maybe combined with partially written metadata which to
the ntfs-3g driver looks like disk corruption.

This is just what happens when you make inconsistent snapshots of disk
unfortunately.

My best suggestion would be:

 - Catch the exception in Python

 - When you hit this error, skip this snapshot and go on to the next one

That may involve rearchitecting your application a bit, but if the
error is rare, it seems like the best way to handle it.

An alternative, if you're not doing it already, would be to take a
consistent snapshot.  Assuming the guest is well-behaved and the
filesystem uses journalling and the journalling is implemented
correctly, a consistent snapshot should not have such errors.