[Libguestfs] Any risk in sparsifying a base image (that has a snapshot on top of it)

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 12:30:42 UTC 2015

Assuming the VM is not running, and we have a base (raw, sparse) with a
snapshot (qcow2) on top of it.
Is there any issue with running virt-sparsify on the base image? I assume
deleted blocks in the base can be sparsified, since they are either still
deleted on the snap (which is fine) or were written in the snap (which is
fine either and does not change or matter for the base image).
Can I assume sparsifying should not make any changes that matter for a VM
that will be spun (post the process)?

TIA,
Y.