[Libguestfs] Build libguestfs error with undefined reference to `guestfs_int_init_libvirt_backend'

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 21:26:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:57:49PM +0300, Efstratios Skleparis wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to build libguestfs library on my system : Ubuntu Server 12.04
> x64bit on XEN hypervisor.
>
> I have followed all instructions on their homepage but whey i am trying to
> build the library make -> gives me the following error: libguestfs.so:
> undefined reference to `guestfs_int_init_libvirt_backend'
>
> Here is a sample code of the error :
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/str/libguestfs-1.30.3/examples'
>   CCLD     create-disk
> ../src/.libs/libguestfs.so: undefined reference to
> `guestfs_int_init_libvirt_backend'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [create-disk] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/str/libguestfs-1.30.3/examples'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/str/libguestfs-1.30.3'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I have already installed all the dependencies for the library [sudo apt-get
> build-dep libguestfs] and updated my automake version to 1.13[latest for
> ubuntu 12.04] as i have read on another redhat list post [this one :
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2014-January/msg00015.html ] but
> still nothing.. I must be missing something !
>
> I haven't done anything rather than ./configure && make

Yup, this is actually a bug in the library.

I'm guessing you have libvirt-dev installed, but it is some ancient
version (less than 0.10.2 specifically).  This means libvirt is
compiled out of the library here:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/677c721e85380fc54ae6d0bebe885101360a6028/src/launch-libvirt.c#L64-L80

but still referenced here:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/677c721e85380fc54ae6d0bebe885101360a6028/src/launch.c#L518-L520

You can just comment out lines 518-520 in the latter file to make it work.