[Libguestfs] Build libguestfs error with undefined reference to `guestfs_int_init_libvirt_backend'

Efstratios Skleparis eskleparis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:57:49 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am trying to build libguestfs library on my system : Ubuntu Server 12.04
x64bit on XEN hypervisor.

I have followed all instructions on their homepage but whey i am trying to
build the library make -> gives me the following error: libguestfs.so:
undefined reference to `guestfs_int_init_libvirt_backend'

Here is a sample code of the error :

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/str/libguestfs-1.30.3/examples'
  CCLD     create-disk
../src/.libs/libguestfs.so: undefined reference to
`guestfs_int_init_libvirt_backend'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [create-disk] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/str/libguestfs-1.30.3/examples'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/str/libguestfs-1.30.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have already installed all the dependencies for the library [sudo apt-get
build-dep libguestfs] and updated my automake version to 1.13[latest for
ubuntu 12.04] as i have read on another redhat list post [this one :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2014-January/msg00015.html ] but
still nothing.. I must be missing something !

I haven't done anything rather than ./configure && make

Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Stratos