[Libguestfs] Fwd: Re: Question: running appliance commands over guest fs (resize2fs -P).

Maxim Perevedentsev mperevedentsev at virtuozzo.com
Tue Sep 15 14:20:58 UTC 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Libguestfs] Question: running appliance commands over
guest fs (resize2fs -P).
Date: 	Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:17:16 +0300
From: 	Maxim Perevedentsev <mperevedentsev at virtuozzo.com>
To: 	Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>

>> 2) More general, how to execute commands from appliance but make
>> them run over image (which may not have anything but filesystem) - I
>> saw something like that in source.
> Not sure I understand the question?
>
> Rich.
As I understand, guestfs runs its own kernel-like daemon that can run
its own commands. It is used to run e.g. resize2fs or e2fsck over loaded
disk images. But those two utilities require the partition not to be
mounted, so they are run by daemon and do not require anything to exists
on partition.

In API I found only the 'command' command which requires the partition
to be mounted and have kernel image on it. This cannot operate on empty
or non-mounted partition.

So I wonder if there is a legal way to run arbitrary commands from
daemon but make them operate on non-mounted, possibly empty
images/partitions.

(Maybe I am missing something, I just run guestfish in verbose mode and
executed e2fsck and resize2fs).

--
Your sincerely,
Maxim Perevedentsev