[Libguestfs] virt-builder and SimpleStreams

Pino Toscano ptoscano at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 09:26:49 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 20 April 2016 19:01:23 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Pino, do you remember what the missing data was that prevents
> virt-builder from working properly with SimpleStreams?
>
> IIRC it was the target (expanded) size of the image, as it means we
> don't know during the planning stage if we will need to resize the
> image.

Almost: if no --size is specified for virt-builder, then the template
is used as-is; when specifying --size, there is a size check to error
out on shrinking, and to pass the right size to virt-resize.

Currently we use the "size" (which represents the size of the image)
also as size of the image: this implies that the shrinking check won't
actually work properly, causing a failure.

We also miss the information about the partition to expand, so
virt-resize merely adds a new empty partition at the end to fill the
extra space.

--
Pino Toscano