[Libguestfs] [libvirt-users] couple of questions about virt-v2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 15:38:20 UTC 2016

[Best to ask these questions on the libguestfs mailing list.  You
don't have to subscribe]

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 03:18:32PM +0100, cmc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two questions about virt-v2v that I hope someone could help with.
>
> 1. I have a host that I use to export VMs from VMWare to oVirt, as the RHEL
> 7 version of virt-v2v does not support W2012.

Please try this version:
https://people.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs-RHEL-7.3-preview/

> When I run the
> conversion/export (-o ovirt -os ovirt-srv:/mnt/export) it looks for a
> bridge on the host I'm running the export for. What does it need the bridge
> on the local host for?

What's the actual error?

> 2. When I run a conversion of a W2012 host, it reports:
>
> "virt-v2v: warning: Neither rhev-apt.exe nor vmdp.exe can be found.  Unable
> to install one of them.
> virt-v2v: warning: there is no QXL driver for this version of Windows (6.2
> x86_64).  virt-v2v looks for this driver in /usr/share/virtio-win"

They are included in virt-v2v at the link above.

> I can't find these two exe files. I've installed the ovirt-guest-tools-iso
> for FC23, and symlinked the mounted ISO to /usr/share/virtio-win, and
> though the two files it is looking for are not on that ISO, I thought it
> might help (it doesn't).
>
> Can virt-v2v install such drivers, or should this just be done manually
> from within the guest?

Yes virt-v2v can install drivers.  You need the virtio-win package
from RHEL 7, since the WHQL'd drivers are not freely redistributable
(or at least, the situation is complicated).