[Libguestfs] v2v: error while killing ssh-agent after importing VM via xen+ssh

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 12:13:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:49:19PM +0200, Shahar Havivi wrote:
> On 13.01.16 10:27, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > When you run:
> >
> >    eval `ssh-agent`
>
> I didn't run eval `ssh-agent` but ssh-agnet and then ssh-add (I
> needed the SSH_AUTH_SOCK that return from ssh-agent since I am
> running two different processes).
>
> I guess I can read the environment SSH_AUTH_SOCK after run eval
> `ssh-agent`...
>
> do you think there is a different between running with to without eval?

Yes - very different.  If you don't use the eval then no SSH_*
environment variables are set.

What probably happened just after that is you added the key to your X
session's ssh-agent -- most desktop session managers start an instance
of ssh-agent for you.

Another way to run ssh-agent which may be more appropriate for
scripting is:

  ssh-agent command args ...

which runs the command straight after and kills ssh-agent when the
command ends.  It would be tempting to run:

  ssh-agent virt-v2v ...

but that won't work because you still have to arrange for the ssh key
to be added to virt-v2v's instance of ssh-agent.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW