[Libguestfs] libguestfs can't communicate over network while creating VM

Pino Toscano ptoscano at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 12:23:21 UTC 2016

On Thursday 16 June 2016 16:28:47 Mensik, Petr wrote:
> I am still getting the same error however from libguestfs log (when
> creating VM) seems that DHCP has been found - no 'DHCP can't be
> found' or whatever error it was. So there is some progress but the
> issue persists :-/
>
> This is what I have done
>
> apt-get purge dhcpcd5*
> apt-get install isc-dhcp-client
> echo isc-dhcp-client > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guestfs/supermin.d/zzz-dhcp
> libguestfs-test-tool (and the message was indeed in the log)
>
> So I am wondering what could be the issue. I am enclosing libguestfs
> log from VM creation http://pastebin.com/A3We5f1F . Thanks a lot for
> your help

In addition to the dependency issue, dhclient needs the interface as
parameter; this has been fixed upstream already, and I left an
additional comment in the Debian bug with the patch needed to backport:
https://bugs.debian.org/775514#68

You can workaround locally with the following instructions as root:
1) # cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guestfs/supermin.d/
2) # tar xzf init.tar.gz
3) patch the 'init' file with the changes in
https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/commit/2d2a65504dca732a398d237565b9778f8ca828b5
4) # tar czf init.tar.gz init
5) # rm init

Now the network should be working.