[Libguestfs] [virt-tools-list] [libvirt] Usability Enhancement: Import/Export VMs GUI

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 14:23:07 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 02:37:56PM +0100, bancfc at openmailbox.org wrote:
>On 2016-03-14 11:00, Martin Kletzander wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:32:15PM +0000, bancfc at openmailbox.org wrote:
>>
>> Cool, now I'm wondering whether we also mention distros that are based
>> on leveraging libvirt on our apps page [1]
>>
>>> The initial import process with virsh commands puts off many newbies
>>> who
>>> lack the technical skills to get up and running. This is the single
>>> most
>>> coveted feature that comes up. It would be great if you guys can make
>>> it
>>> happen at GSoC :)
>>>

>> Since virt-v2v can already quickly do that, I'm not sure the idea is
>> big
>> enough that it would be enough for such project.  It would be basically
>> a file chooser, button and running 'virt-v2v' with proper parameters if
>> I'm not mistaken.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> [1] https://libvirt.org/apps.html
>

>I've been reading up on virt-v2v as a potential one line command
>solution for guest import but it seems this specific usecase is not what
>it was made for and this feature was ripped out:
>
>https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/importing-kvm-guests-to-ovirt-or-rhev/#content

We're both talking about different things then.  virt-v2v is supposed to
be able to import OVA image, that is extract all the stuff from it and
feed it to libvirt.  Although I was only told that, I have no hands on
experience with that.

Totally different thing is importing only disk images.  virt-install and
virt-manager can already do that and that's not the case for virt-v2v.