[Libguestfs] [ovirt-users] OVA import of FC21 VM hangs during virt-v2v conversion?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Nov 16 15:56:39 UTC 2016

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 09:06:29AM +0200, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
>>
>> > On 7 Nov 2016, at 22:16, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My last VM imported in 2 minutes.  This one has been sitting for three
>> > hours.  I think this is a bug.
>>
>> well, some time it does take a long time. Are you sure it was hung?
>> No I/O going on?
>>
>> adding libguestfs list
>
> The most likely reason for virt-v2v to hang (actually it's qemu which
> is hanging) is that you've run out of disk space.  Most probably in
> /var/tmp but best to check all your host filesystems.

No, the filesystem had plenty of space.

It eventually did complete, after several hours.  But I don't understand
why this particular VM took so long when others (with similar disk
sizes/usages/configurations) completed in only 1-2 minutes.  Each VM is
effectively exactly the same (it's a build slave), so it's just the
basic installation of the particular Fedora release, the build tools,
and the build slave configuration.  Beyond the underlying fedora release
version, the systems are configured exactly the same.

I migrated four similar VMs.  Three of them completed almost
immediately.  The last too much longer.  The ONLY thing different about
the one that took longer was that I decided to pack the disk first, so I
ran:

  vmware-toolbox-cmd disk shrink /

in the VM prior to packaging it up as an OVA.  All the OVA files are
relatively small and similar in size:

-rw------- 1 warlord warlord  1959553024 Nov  7 10:40 fc20-64.ova
-rw------- 1 warlord warlord  1794907648 Nov  7 12:27 fc21-64.ova
-rw------- 1 warlord warlord  2023595520 Nov  6 10:04 fc22-64.ova
-rw------- 1 warlord warlord  3381622272 Nov  5 16:18 fc23-64.ova

The FC23 and FC22 migrations took the least amount of time, even though
they were the largest.

> Rich.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745